our special thanks to the following for their interest and support!
Thanks to www.wisewordsonwriting.com
for their mention of our contest in W3.
Ayr Writers' Club have a varied programme of Speakers, workshops,
club nights and have regular competitions too. www.ayrwritersclub.co.uk
a site not to be overlooked ;-)
In 2004, I decided to offer an
annual dog short story & poetry competition again, as I was
still receiving entries for the Top Dog Journal competition five
years after closing that publication!
for the time being I am closing
this competition as I have other projects requiring my attention
The annual closing date is 1st September
As from now, there is a new streamlined
process for entering :-) The entry fee is to cover our administration costs
We accept entries
Index to the competition
common entry notes:
(terms & conditions!)
entries must be about and feature dog/s
- entries may be non-fictional or fictional
- any reader level entries are welcome, please indicate if they are
child reading level and approximate age
- previously published material is accepted provided there are no
current restrictions on publication from the earlier publisher,
please indicate where and when the material was published so credit
can be included if your entry is selected for our collection
- all rights remain with the author with the sole exception
Erinrac.com / Erinrac Enterprises has the option to publish any
finalists/winners on their website/s and within a winner's
compilation book or in any magazines or results announcements Erinrac
Enterprises publishes but if published the author will be notified
and full credit to the author will be given
- Erinrac.com / Erinrac Enterprises reserves the right to appoint
judges at their sole discretion
- the judge/s decision is final and absolute, no communications
will be entered into
- Judges will be dog folk
- the Story & Poetry competition is open to all countries
- all entries must be in English
- Entries CLOSE (ie have to be with the Competition Steward) on
1st SEPTEMBER each year
- Results should be posted on or about NOVEMBER 30th each year
- A book of the winners should be available for purchase on
or about JANUARY 15th each year, but usually in time for Christmas of
the compettion year
- overlong entries will not be judged
- foul, smuty, or dirty language or racism, encouraging or
condonning cruelty or bad practices, etc entries will NOT be judged
and entry fees are forfeited
- no story or poetry style restrictions or requirements apply
except for length and bad language or themes
- prize money may be allocated from a percentage of the entry fees
- entry fees are charged to cover administration costs, setup and
publication of the book of winners, judge's renumeration, promotion,
and prize money
- if significant entries are received then sections will be
- entries are accepted throughout the year - entries received after
the closing date are held for the next competition
- You can pay for several entries by one author at a time - but you
need to pay separately for each author
- no late entries will be judged, they will be carried over to the
- format and contents required for the entry
statement are below
Story special conditions
must not exceed 1500 words including those little words typists used
not to count like the, that, it, etc
Poetry special conditions
most not exceed 50 lines
Click here to register.
Already registered, click here, to enter, etc.
Tips, Hints & Ideas
We're looking for a realistic or believable,
easy to read entry - your
English does not have to be top grade, just readable!
We are after
- talent and flair,
- something with a new angle to it,
- not a repeat or re-told tale.
- Smug and conceited writing is unlikely to appeal.
- Trust in yourself and write from your heart.
- Use your language in a clean, bright and vital manner,
- avoid being dull or dogmatic.
If you love dogs we're sure you won't be stuck for inspiration!
Or why not check out previous winners and
finalists - check the results page or buy some of the older
books (check the dog book section)!